World, don’t get me wrong. I love me a good, decadent baked product.
I die for carbs and a freshly grilled burger? Point me in that direction. Now. But there’s something to be said for fresh fruits and vegetables, and not just because my body starts craving them like candy when I’ve done something like eat a bag of Cape Cod potato chips for dinner (hypothetical, of course).
The best part about summer, aside from the cute fashion and the ability to head to the beach, is how many fruits and veggies are in season! Throwing together summer salads is one of my favorite fast and easy seasonal meals, and hopefully I’ll be able to share a couple of my best combinations over the next few months.
Look, I’m not reinventing the wheel here. I’m not even making some fancy dressing to boast about. I’m grabbing what looks good in the grocery store, tossing it all together and patting myself on the back for not resorting to instant pasta for dinner. Again.
So try this – or throw together another combination and let me know what your favorite “summer salad” is! And aren’t they great? Better than a cupcake!*
Pear, peach and corn salad
1. Slice a peach any way you want. Thin or thick. Get crazy!
2. Add a thinly sliced tomato to the mix
3. Add some corn – I used about 1/4 of a cup, but do it up!
4. Plus lettuce. Toss.
5. Slice a pear and arrange it around the top of your salad. Or, if you’re not taking pictures like an annoying blogger, just toss it all in there.
6. Whisk together some balsamic vinegar, olive oil and dried parsley (just a pinch.) Pour over the top.
7. Sprinkle some cheese of your liking – I used feta – and enjoy. Happy summer!